Why Bone Grafts Are Important to You
Strong bones are critical to a healthy smile. Certain conditions, like periodontal disease and tooth loss, rob your body of its bone density. Restoring bone is recommended, but why should you replace something you cannot see? Because healthy bone density levels provide support to your teeth, make up the underlying structure of your face and provide dental implants with a solid foundation. Restoration can be achieved with a bone graft in Lafayette, LA.
Who Needs Bone Grafts?
- Patients with prolonged gum disease in which the bacteria has attacked the bone. Untreated infection causes loss of bone volume.
- Patients who did not immediately seek replacement of missing teeth. Loss of the tooth root begins a process of bone loss at the site of the missing tooth.
- Patients who have suffered significant bone loss but would like to replace missing teeth with dental implants.
- Patients who have opted for dentures but have found that their dentures do not fit as well due to bone loss under the gums.
The Benefits of Bone Grafts
- Replacing density in oral bone volume can prevent premature aging, avoiding cheek hollows or receding chins.
- Healthy bone serves as a good foundation for both implants and dentures.
- Restoring bone levels combats osteoporosis.
- Bone restoration in the upper arch can prevent the sinus membrane from sagging.
- When placed at the time of extraction, a bone graft in Lafayette, LA, can provide structure to the area and limit the amount of bone lost.
Restoring bone density is important to your oral health and appearance. Dr. Finley is a highly trained periodontist offering bone grafts and dental implants. If you have suffered from bone loss or have lost teeth to periodontal disease, schedule a visit with Dr. Finley to determine whether bone grafts are necessary for you. Call our office today.